The Reality Of Dementia

I'm sharing with you what is the emotional progression of a family dealing with Dementia. My father was diagnosed with FrontalTemporoDementia in late March of 2004 at the age of 60. This is from my point of view as his only son, who loves the man who raised him, as the condition, and Life, moves ahead.

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Because This Is How It Is

Anger is not a strong enough word, but it's the first to mind.
When a person has neurologically "degenerative" or "altering" disorder, such as Alzheimer's or Pick's, that's pretty much who you'll be dealing with, or worse, for the rest of your lives. Take one of your parent's for example. Then identify one quality of their personality which you love, which you know makes them who they are.
Now get rid of all traces of it. Welcome to the world of FrontoTemporal Dementia!

Sucks the big one, huh?

It's not that this is an "overnight" onset, either. A Frontotemporal disorder affects a person's Personality and Daily Life and is progressive. It's not like they wake up and can't move their little finger. They wake up and can't tell you what fingers are. And it gets worse. My dad is in the earlier stages of all this, where we think it's only been happening for about the last 3 years or so. He's not crazy nor is he wandering the streets wondering where his house is. I haven't really noticed until the last year, and noticed it a lot more as we have a diagnosis and a treatment schedule. Ignorance is/is not bliss. Dignity dignity dignity. Anger Anger Anger.

Sigh.

So I'm here at work, a place that I'd rather not be, writing about something very real to my family and my life, and all I wish right now is that there was a magic pill that would cure my dad. If there were such a pill, what would the proper cost be? What would any of us be willing to give up to save a parent and a family from the ills of aging? Discuss.

E-mail me at GBLott@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home