The Reality Of Dementia

I'm sharing with you what is the emotional progression of a family dealing with Dementia. My father was diagnosed with FrontalTemporoDementia in late March of 2004 at the age of 60. This is from my point of view as his only son, who loves the man who raised him, as the condition, and Life, moves ahead.

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Character Building

Dammit.
Yesterday I took my dad in to see a Naturopath so that he could get some colon hydrotherapy. The benefits of a colonic far outweigh the "stigma." Your entire intake of food, medication, and liquids is processed through your liver, lymphatic system, and colon. The colon is the final absorption point. If it's blocked or not operating properly, your body ceases to filter out the toxins from food, medication, and all that Old Crow you've been drilling. A colonic fully clears out your intestines, as well as resets your lymphatic system, and enhances your liver function.

In doing this, most people become clear-headed to a much higher degree than they thought they were at. You sleep better, think faster, and are, in general, feeling great. The last time I had one was couple months ago after a lot of stress, and I left with a pep in my step. The Naturopath I go to, Gayle at the Healing Arts Clinic, also experienced her father's dementia first-hand. However, through a regimen of colonics and herbal supplements and diet changes she was able to completely turn her father around to being healthy and normal.

So I took a day off of work to be in Maple Valley and take my dad in for a consultation and colonic. He was nervous and fidgety, like a little kid on the way to the doctor. He had questions, he was defiant, he was difficult, then he relaxed a little. We sat in the waiting room for a few minutes, talked with Gayle for about 10-15, and my dad seemed ready to give it a try. We headed into the room where Gayle gave us a quick tour of the equipment and how to get things moving, then she stepped out of the room. I was going to hang in there to help my dad get things situated, as his condition has basically left him with the demeanor of an 8 year-old.

The next 30 minutes was complete and utter frustration, anger, helplessness, and finally Defeat as my dad wouldn't so much as sit on the bed/table for the procedure. He stalled and lied and attempted to distract me from the purpose of our visit. He stared off into space, he turned around, he wouldn't face me, he acted scared, and was stubborn. He wouldn't sit on the bed for more than a second, and then tell me "I'll sit down." He wasn't sitting. He wouldn't sit. He was lying. He was confused, and manipulative. He was pissing me off! He didn't even know he was, and he wasn't trying to, or was he and did he just not care? He didn't want to do it, but dammit, it would help him so much and he just wasn't going to help the situation, and GAWDDAMMIT, it was putting me through the roof! And I had no idea what else to do. It was enraging me and saddening me in the same breath. I was totally helpless. And my mom goes through it EVERY DAY with him. She's a saint to have done this.

After 30 minutes and no launch, I told my dad to get dressed. I was steaming at him, and at the same time feeling like I had let him down, myself down, and was, in general, in a foul mood. I had no idea what else to do but call it quits, we were wasting our time. I hugged him and told him we're just trying to get him healthier, and he said "I know," but he's perhaps too far gone now. Or close to it. He's becoming really hard to be around. He's no longer my mom's husband, he is her charge. He's the guy my mom takes care of. It's just not my dad in there. And I have no idea what to do anymore. I am almost embarrassed to say this, but I am not very fond of the man that Dementia has made of my father.

My mom and dad are going to give it another try in a week or two. I will likely go with them to offer support. It's such an easy and beneficial and totally natural method of clearing your body of poisons, I highly recommend a colonic to anybody who is feeling sluggish or ill. We've talked about the possibility of my dad going into a home in the next 6 months. He's 61. My grandparents are in their 70s. My girlfriend's grandparents are in their 80s. My dad's been taken from me. How? I don't know. Perhaps it was a "use it or lose it" situation. He retired from Boeing and a planned schedule, and 2 years later started slipping, and is now in the grip of FrontoTemporal Dementia. Was he predisposed? Perhaps. His mother had Alzheimer's.

If you could, please take a second and say this little prayer for my family:
"I ask you God to protect Gerry and Pam, to help them find the healing paths to walk, and to find peace in each day's blessings." It would mean the world to us.

And I can't thank you enough, those of you who have read this and shown your support and love to me and my family. I had no idea I'd ever go through this, and it's tearing me down, but your support keeps the foundation intact. Love ya.

2 Comments:

At Monday, December 20, 2004, Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's natural to not care for the person that dementia has turned your father into. He's not your dad anymore! It would anger anyone in your position.

I think it's wonderful that you are seeking to aid your father in this way. It must be terribly frustrating to not be able to communicate this with him.

For however he's behaving, it's not his choice. I know I would choose that mantra, to choose that he really just doesn't know. Hopefully that knowledge will help you to stay strong.

I think of your father daily, and will pray for him. I love you and am always available if you need to let stuff out.

 
At Friday, December 31, 2004, Blogger Queen on the run said...

I just stumbled upon your site and was pulled in..I am a caregiver and have worked with dementia and alzheimers both sometimes they go hand in hand sometimes not. My grandmother experienced a great deal of dementia about a year before she passed so I know what you are going through, I know how hard it is, I also see families deal with this everyday. Sometimes the best thing to do for the Dementia patient is to have them go to a home where they can receive round the clock care, this does wonders also for the spouse and other family members,as they are not abondoning there spouse or family member but making sure that they are getting the attention that they need, that they are well cared for, and the STRESS is off the remaining spouse.Having your dad go to a home would be benificial to him and your mother. You can visit him whenever you want, you can take him out whenever you want. There are even homes that accept spouses even if one of them does not need care. Actually as long as you can afford it, anyone can pretty much live at an adult family home, retirenment facility/village etc.
My thoughts are with you and I will be coming back to see what is happening. Best of wishes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home