The Reality Of Dementia

I'm sharing with you what is the emotional progression of a family dealing with Dementia. My father was diagnosed with FrontalTemporoDementia in late March of 2004 at the age of 60. This is from my point of view as his only son, who loves the man who raised him, as the condition, and Life, moves ahead.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

So What Do I Get My Dad?

Tomorrow I'm taking my dad to a naturopath because we're looking for new remedies to his dementia. It's progressed at an alarming rate in the past year. He's gone from losing his glasses to repeating the names of every store we drive by in a strip mall. It doesn't sound like much, but after 30 minutes of "PaydayLoanTimesUpThaiBartellsBlockBusterStarbucksJetPizza" you start looking for side roads. He can't read mailboxes since he lost his glasses.

The reason I'm taking him to the Naturopath is to consult about what natural remedies there are to changing or at least halting the symptoms of his dementia. This was a pretty major onslaught of symptoms, which shows me this is a chemical change, not a mental one. The hardest symptom to overcome is apathy. This is prominent in all people with mental illnesses, where they begin to not care about what's going on.

For example, if you have to take a whiz, you go. You go because, if you don't, you'll start to get ill and uncomfortable and, publicly, you'll ruin your appearance, or at least change it to one that is soppingly unacceptable. Imagine feeling like you have to go, and then waiting about 30 seconds before going, whether or not you're in the bathroom. This happens far too frequently, and it's really sad to be part of. My dad from 4 years ago would want my dad now to get healthy, and would want us to do whatever we could to get him there.

Here's to hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home